Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Respect and Empathy

Today my husband underwent his second day of radiation to his brain. He has had radiation before but that was in a different area. His chest was radiated about a year ago. That was frightening because they also did it to his heart. He got really tired and then got radiation pneumonitis which could have killed him but he recovered. Now this. He said today that he didn't feel too great. He still has 20 more treatments to go. If it already doesn't feel good how is it going to be tomorrow and the day after that?
My role is to be strong for him. I try to encourage him and give him hope. He believes that a miracle could happen and so do I. Why not?
He has been an inspiration to me because he is not like how so many wives I know describe their husbands, wimps when they are ill. He rarely complains about what is going on. That sure makes it easier for me to encourage him. It would be hard to encourage someone who was always complaining and living their life out as a drama.
We try to be "normal" as much as possible around the house. Life hasn't been "normal" since the diagnosis or I guess you could call it a different kind of "normal". To see us living out our lives you may never guess that we have this going on. So now when I look at people out there sometimes I wonder what their cross to bear may be. When I am at work and I talk to patients it is interesting what you end up learning about their life. Lots of people are hurting. Most have been through some kind of trauma and are living out each day coping the best that they are able. Talk to people when you can and learn from them. You will gain respect and empathy.
Respect and empathy are two things my husband has taught me.
Peace.

No comments: