Monday, December 11, 2006

The Goodwill

I was doing some more unpacking. I realized that I really do have things I don't need anymore. You see I put value on these things and these things really don't deserve value.
I loaded up a trunk with several boxes of "things" and went to the Goodwill thinking that I was really doing good will. Well, I unloaded the boxes into a big bin which was then rolled over and put into the care of high school kids. The box on top had dishes that I had put value on. And you guessed it...the high school boy dropped the box and all the dishes were destroyed. I had put value on those "things" and I automatically thought that he would too. Then it hit me..."they are things". The value is the eye and hands of the owner. So I learned a lesson today. I am going to get rid of a bunch of "stuff" soon.
Even the things in life that seem to have value to me and maybe others, like things that are expensive for example are undeserving of the value we place on them. And by that I mean emotional value. The only valuables we have are the relationships we have with other people. People are where we should have good will. Then the value would grow and be passed on to others because valuable things acquire interest.
Do good will for others and send the "things" to Goodwill.
Peace

2 comments:

Matt Martinson said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

Val, this lesson I also learned when loosing my Mom to ALS (Lou Gherigs). I didn't want any of her things..... just her. You have brought me back to that memory and the reminder that it is all just STUFF and not what is important. Thanks, Val, as you once again show me the true meaning of "strength". I admire your strong, loving heart. Barbara - wsam